Following the capture in Poland of the suspected Israeli terrorist attached to mossad, Uri Brodsky, on last 4 June 2010, who was arrested by the Polish Police on a German arrest warrant related to the acquisition and/or falsification of at least one German passport which was used during the Dubai assassination plot last January. After contradictory and false news published by the Israeli media, and because of the shortage of relevant information about the issue released by the Polish government, I sent a request for information to the Press Speaker of the Regional Prosecutor Office in Warsaw, Prosecutor Monika Lewandowska, and the foreign and interior ministries of Poland about the issue of Brodsky.
The brief answer in Polish sent to me by Ms. Lewandowska contradicts the allegations and lies published in the israeli media, but it does not answer all my questions. Ynet news com “The website of Polish newspaper Gazeta reported Wednesday evening that the attorney had told the court that the incident was an unfortunate case of mistaken identity”. The israeli media are now saying that the arrest was an unfortunate case of mistaken identity. This is not what the Warsaw prosecutor writes in her letter: she says that Brodsky was arrested in connection with a German arrest warrant for document forgery possibly related to the Dubai murder.
I think that if the captured person had been an Arab, everybody (the media, police and governments) would be releasing further details about not only about him, but about his family, relatives, friends … and his photo would have been published in color on the first pages of local and international media everywhere, he would have been labelled a “TERRORIST MUSLIM ARAB”, press conferences would be held by security forces to slander him, his country, his religion and everybody linked to him, his family would be listed as terrorists by the US Commerce Dept. (and probably in Europe too) and everybody would be happily bragging that they had captured some (yet another) “important” Al-Kaida commander.
But in the current case, where a presumed terrorist attached to the Israeli Mossad was captured, clearly another standard is being applied in the media and by the Polish government; the US and Israeli regimes are apparently making pressure on Poland (what the prosecutor denies) to release Brodsky or to extradite him to israel instead of Germany (or to leave him free), and he has not been charged with terrorism or participating in a terrorist conspiracy despite the uncontrovertibly fact that he is being sought in connection to an incident of international state-sponsored terrorism. To extradite him to Dubai would probably be as unthinkable as a pink flying elephant, despite existing international agreements of cooperation.
I sent a catalog of questions regarding Uri Brodsky to the Polish authorities, which are on purpose provocative. The questions which I sent to Ms. Lewandowska follow, as well as her short answer in Polish and an English (Google) translation. If any reader knows Polish, I respectfully ask for a translation to English of the letter from Ms. Lewandowska.
Questions as (PDF)
In relation to the individual captured by your authorities and the legal procedures involved, I respectfully request the following information:
- Which is the nationality of the individual? According to media in Israel, it is not clear if he holds Israeli or German documents, or both, or other.
- In which ways have israeli representatives attempted to alter the due course of legal procedures in this affair? Have any attempts to suborn Polish officials become known, or threats been implied or proffered against your country or specific persons? By whom?
- On which (legal) basis are the israeli representatives meddling in the due process under Polish law in this case?
- It has also become known that US representatives are meddling in this case. On which (legal) basis is their intermission being explained? Could you please provide further details?
- Has your country signed any agreements or treaties with the state of israel or other zionist organizations, which would effectively put holders of israeli identification papers beyond and above laws and international treaties? Could you please provide me with a copy of any such agreement, law or treaty which your country may have engaged in?
- In relation to the resistance of the authorities of your country against extraditing him to either Germany or Dubai, what has also been commented about in the media, is this due to Israeli (and US) meddling, or strictly due to legalities? Could you please provide more details?
- Will the outcome of this case be decided in a sovereign fashion by Polish authorities, or will it be decided in Tel Aviv or Washington and handed down to Polish authorities for implementation?
- Have your authorities held a press conference or released media statements concerning the capture of this presumed terrorist? If not, why not? Could you please provide me with or direct me to any press release which you may have made?
- From the point of view of Polish authorities, is it more important to be seen as a state respectful of national laws and international laws and treaties, or to have friendly relationships with states which are universally known as scofflaws?
- If this individual was an Arab or Muslim, would he have been labeled a “terrorist” by your authorities, or treated different from how the captured individual is currently being treated? Would such a different treatment have a legal basis which you could point out?
- Could you supply a picture of the captured individual for publication?
Answers From Prosecutor as (PDF)
Warszawa, dnia 17 czerwca 2010 r.
I A 06/63/10
W odpowiedzi na przesłany wniosek uprzejmie informuję, że w dniu 4 czerwca 2010 r. na lotnisku Okęcie w Warszawie Straż Graniczna zatrzymała osobę legitymującą się paszportem wystawionym na dane obywatela Izraela Uri B. ściganego przez sąd niemiecki Europejskim Nakazem Aresztowania za przestępstwa przeciwko dokumentom. Strona niemiecka we wniosku o wydanie przekazała informację, że dokumenty objęte zarzutem sformułowanym wobec ściganego mogą mieć znaczenie dla wyjaśnienia sprawy zamachu na członka HAMASU, które miało miejsce w Dubaju w styczniu br.
Prokurator Prokuratury Okręgowej w Warszawie ogłosił ściganemu zarzut poświadczenia nieprawdy i fałszowania dokumentów niemieckich. W ocenie prokuratury paszport, którym legitymuje się ścigany nie budzi wątpliwości. W dniu 6 czerwca Sąd Okręgowy w Warszawie Wydział VIII Karny zastosował wobec ściganego areszt tymczasowy na 40 dni.
W dniu 17 czerwca 2010 r. po uzyskaniu oryginału Europejskiego Nakazu Aresztowania prokurator wystąpił do Sądu Okręgowego w Warszawie z wnioskiem o wydanie ściganego stronie niemieckiej. Decyzję w przedmiocie wydania podejmie sąd.
Nadmieniam, że w sprawie dotyczącej ściganego Uri B. do Prokuratury Okręgowej w Warszawie nie wpłynęła żadna korespondencja z Izraela lub Stanów Zjednoczonych. Prokuratura postępuje zgodnie z obowiązującą w kraju procedurą. Na prokuratorów nikt nie naciskał, a podjęta decyzja o wystąpieniu do Sądu Okręgowego w Warszawie z wnioskiem o przekazanie ściganego stronie niemieckiej jest niezależna od poglądów politycznych.
Prokuratura na bieżąco informuje media o podjętych działaniach w sprawie.
Prokuratury Okręgowej w Warszawie
English (Google) translation.
In response to the received request, we kindly inform you that on 4 June 2010 at Okecie airport in Warsaw the border guards detained a person holding a passport issued to the citizen of Israel, Uri B. sought by the German court with a European arrest warrant for “crimes against documents”. The German side submitted information in their request to the effect that the documents mentioned in their arrest warrant may be relevant to the case concerning the assassination of a member of Hamas which took place in January of this year.
The prosecutor in the Warsaw District Prosecutor’s office has released information about a criminal complaint about forgery and falsification of documents in Germany. In the opinion of the prosecution, the holder of the passport is without doubt the person sought for. On June 6, the Criminal Division VIII of the Warsaw Regional Court subjected the captured to a
temporary detention of 40 days.
On June 17 2010 the prosecutor originating the European Arrest Warrant asked the District Court in Warsaw to deliver the captured subject to the German side. A decision in this issue will be taken by the court.
We want to mention that in the case involving Uri B. being pursued by the District Prosecutor’s Office of Warsaw, no correspondence has been received from either Israel or the United States. The Prosecutor shall act in accordance with the procedure established in the country. No one has pressured the Prosecutor or requested from the District Court of Warsaw to deliver the captured subjectedto the German side, independent of political views.
The Prosecutor will keep the media informed about actions taken in this case.
We are sorry if this translation is imprecise or incorrect. It is based on a translation by Google. I would highly appreciate if a reader could contribute a better translation of the Prosecutor’s letter from its Polish original.